3) Add the egg and mix well. Stir in the golden syrup, mixing well.
4) Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and salt, then add little by little to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.
5) Mix well after each addition. Using your hands, knead the mix to a stiff, smooth dough.
6) Roll out to a thickness of approx five millimetres and cut to whatever shapes you like using cookie cutters. If you wish to turn the biscuits into tree decoration gifts, make a small hole at the top of your shapes, approx five millimetres from the edge of the biscuit.
7) Place the shapes on a greased baking tray. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and decorate with icing and sprinkles.
8) Thread thin ribbon through the holes to turn them into edible tree decorations. Alternatively, just put them into pretty cardboard boxes lined with tissue paper.