Official statement declares the March 13 race will not go ahead
Time Out Staff
Bahrain Grand Prix organisers scrapped the March 13 opening race of the Formula One season on Monday amid ongoing political unrest in the Gulf state.
The race could still be rescheduled but no firm decision on a new date has been made, organisers said in an emailed statement.
"The Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) today announced that the Kingdom of Bahrain would withdraw from hosting this year's F1 Grand Prix race so that the country can focus on its process of national dialogue,” the statement said.
F1 commercial chief Bernie Ecclestone had been informed of the decision by Bahrain’s Crown Prince earlier in the day, the statement said.