Kayaking in Bahrain
Pete Aldwinckle of Global Climbing shares his kayak tips Discuss this article
• Wear an internationally certified buoyancy aid – it will cost you extra but it could save your life!
• Know how to roll your boat or get back into it if you capsize or fall out of it.
• Know the tide times and how the tide will affect currents in your area of paddling.
• Go in a group and make sure all members are competent.
• Have a waterproof chart or map and track your progress on it.
• Remember the sun is strong and glare off the sea is intense, so take full body cover, sunscreen, hat and proper glasses.
• Ensure that somebody knows where you are going and what to do if you are late returning.
• Carry a phone in a waterproof bag – zip-lock bags are not good enough.
• Don’t be overambitious with what your are planning to do; be prepared to turn back or abort if progress is slower than you planned.By Time Out Bahrain staff
Time Out Bahrain,
- Martial arts(7)
- Rugby & Gaelic(2)
Most viewed outlets
Our favourite features
Afternoon tea in Bahrain Our favourite spots for that most British of occasions
Best spas in Bahrain 11 of the island's most luxurious spas for you to try
10 dishes under a Dinar The delicious budget food you have to try in Bahrain
10 to try: Great Bahrain walks Parks, malls, beaches and side streets to stride this month
10 best pizzas in Bahrain Where to find perfect pizzas in Bahrain
10 steps to a healthier life Eat, sleep, detox and exercise your way to a healthier body